15-20 minutes (if garlic is already roasted)
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
The sweet, mellow, nutty flavor of roasted garlic and a little kick from jalapeno offer a delicious twist to this popular Middle Eastern dip.
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roasted
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Toss 4 peeled garlic cloves in a little oil and double wrap in aluminum foil. In a preheated 350 degree oven, roast the garlic for about 30 minutes or until the garlic is soft but not burnt.
- In a food processor, puree the roasted garlic and the one raw garlic clove along with the diced jalapeño. Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, and salt. Puree until smooth. While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until smooth.
Serve sprinkled with paprika or a pinch of cayenne for extra kick and accompanied by toasted triangles of pita bread or crackers.
Calories: 194, Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 399 mg, Carbohydrate: 24 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Protein: 7 g
Recipe from www.welcometothetable.coop