Common Market’s Bring-a-Bag for Change Program encourages shoppers to reuse bags and reduce waste by providing a wooden nickel, worth 5¢, for each reusable bag used at checkout. Customers then choose a charity to donate that token to in our exit vestibule. This program is a win-win—it keeps single-use bags out of the waste stream while giving back to deserving organizations in the community.
Each quarter, we select four non-profits to support through this Program. These non-profits represent the categories of Children & Families, Environment, Animals, and Community. Tokens are combined with 1% of sales from a chosen day, and a check is then mailed to each non-profit.
Saved 2,432,882 bags from the waste stream and donated $180,672 to local charities!
- Frederick Mental Health Association – $1,298.94
- Maryland Pesticide Education Network – $1,242.12
- Tails of Hope – $1,357.98
- Blessings in a Backpack – $1,303.28
- Heartly House – $1,203.36
- Seed of Life Nurseries – $1,172.38
- 4-H Therapeutic Riding – $1,174.12
- Hospice of Frederick – 1,311.05
- Housing Authority of Frederick – $1,233.32
- NCG Co+op Forest – $1,182.24
- Animal Welfare League – $1,370.43
- YMCA – $1,034.71
- Feed the Hungry Waterboyz & HITW CSA shares – $2,442.26
- Future Harvest – $2,000.00
- Animal’s Angels – $1,086.41
- Share Our Strength No Kid Hungry – $1,118.10
Below are the recipients of the Bring-a-Bag donations that are currently being collected: