Common Market’s Bring-a-Bag for Change Program encourages shoppers to reuse bags and reduce waste by providing a green token, worth 5¢, for each reusable bag used at checkout. Customers then choose a charity to donate that token to in our exit vestibule. This program is a win-win—it keeps single-use bags out of the waste stream while giving back to deserving organizations in the community.
Each quarter, we select four non-profits to support through this Program. These non-profits represent the categories of Children & Families, Environment, Animals, and Community. Tokens are combined with 1% of sales from a chosen day, and a check is then mailed to each non-profit.
This quarter, October through December, you can choose from the following charities:
Saved 3,896,242 bags from the waste stream and donated $477,966 to local charities!
- Heartly House – $1,768.42
- Alice Ferguson Foundation – $1,282
- Animal Welfare League – $554.53
- Tip Me Frederick – $554.53
- Young Voices for Climate Change – $881.27
- Frederick Bicycle Coalition – $898.30
- Land and Cultural Preserve Fund – $1,019.95
- Purr Haven – $1,221.45
- Healthy Food School Fund – $2,604.79
- Daybreak – $956.18
- NCG Forest – $1,033.78
- Polar Springs – $1,119.29
- Student Homelessness Initiative Partnership (SHIP) – $1,071.18
- Feed the Hungry Waterboyz – $2,702.27 for food donations
- HIW CSA Shares – $1,200
- Future Harvest – $1,289.47
- Animals’ Angels – $1,161.96
- Advocates for Homeless Families – $998.55