1 hour 5 minutes; 20 minutes active
20 slices (makes 2 loaves)
This pumpkin gingerbread is a delicious breakfast treat served warm with a smear of cream cheese and a drizzle of honey.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the spices, salt, baking soda, baking powder and flours.
- In a second large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, applesauce, molasses, eggs, vanilla, water, and pumpkin until smooth and well blended. Add the flour mix to the wet ingredients and blend well, then pour the batter evenly into the loaf pans.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, being careful not to over-bake. Let cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
Pumpkin bread is a delicious breakfast treat served warm with a smear of cream cheese and a drizzle of honey.
250 calories, 7 g. fat, 41 mg. cholesterol, 301 mg. sodium, 44 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 4 g. protein
Recipe from www.strongertogether.coop