Total Time: 30 minutes
This simple side won’t disappoint. A dash of garam masala infuses a hint of Indian flavor to the glaze.
- 2 acorn squash (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut each squash into 4 equal rings, removing the stems. Place the squash onto a large rimmed sheet pan or 2 casserole dishes. Pour about a half-inch of water into the dishes or the sheet pan and sprinkle the squash with salt and pepper. Bake the squash for 15-20 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, melt the butter and combine it with the maple syrup, cinnamon and garam masala. Remove the squash from the oven, pour off any remaining water and brush liberally with the melted butter mixture. Bake 5 minutes, brush again with the remaining butter mixture and bake another 5 minutes.
This glazed squash is an excellent accompaniment for turkey or a hearty lentil loaf. If you prefer, halve and bake the squash and stuff them with your favorite pilaf and drizzle with the maple syrup glaze before serving for a simple weeknight supper.
196 calories, 6 g. fat, 16 mg. cholesterol, 14 mg. sodium, 35 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 4 g. protein
Recipe from www.strongertogether.coop