2 hours; 1 hour active
This is a classic lasagna, loaded with beefy tomato sauce and creamy ricotta. The Italian sausage adds a spicy, herbal flavor that friends and family will love.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 25 ounces tomato puree
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 ounces (1 1/2 cups) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F. Put on a large pot of salted water to boil for cooking the noodles. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking pan by lightly oiling it. In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the onions. Cook over medium high heat until softened and golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, sausage, beef and salt, and increase the heat to high, stirring to crumble and brown the meat. When the meat is cooked, add the tomato puree, diced tomatoes and oregano. Bring to a boil, stirring, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until thick, about 10 minutes.
- Cook enough noodles to make four layers of pasta in the pan—either 12 or 16 noodles, depending on their size. Undercook the noodles by 3 minutes; they will finish cooking when the lasagna is baked.
- Meanwhile in medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup Parmesan cheese and eggs. Mix well.
- Spread 1 cup sauce over the bottom of the 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Arrange 3-4 lasagna noodles in single layer. Spread 2 cups of the ricotta cheese mixture over noodles; dollop on 1 1/2 cups of spaghetti sauce. Arrange more noodles in single layer; press lightly into sauce. Top with 2 cups ricotta mixture, and 1 1/2 cups sauce, then place remaining noodles on top, pressing to make the noodles level. Spoon the remaining 2 cups of ricotta mixture over the noodles, cover with noodles, then cover with the remaining sauce, making sure to cover all the pasta completely. Sprinkle the mozzarella and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan over the sauce.
- Bake 45 minutes or until the cheese is browned and the sauce is bubbling. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Serve this hearty lasagna with steamed broccoli and a green salad.
477 calories, 26 g. fat, 142 mg. cholesterol, 843 mg. sodium, 34 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 27 g. protein
Recipe from: Welcome to the table