7 hours,15 minutes; 15 minutes active
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
The appeal of this New Orleans classic only grows when it is made in the slow cooker, because it is so incredibly easy to prepare. It’s colorful and makes a complete meal, all on its own.
The High Five
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 bunch collard greens, chopped
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat a pot of water to boiling, add kidney beans and boil beans for ten minutes. Drain beans.
- Combine 5 cups water, drained kidney beans, brown rice, bell pepper, carrot and Cajun seasoning in a slow cooker. Cover and set on low, and cook for 6 hours.
- Open the cooker, add the salt and collard greens, and stir. Cover and cook for another hour.
- When the beans are tender, serve or transfer to containers to refrigerate or freeze.
Serve as a side dish to roasted chicken, or feature it as an entrée with a slice of cornbread.
260 calories, 1.5 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 730 mg. sodium, 50 g. carbohydrate, 17 g. fiber, 15 g. protein
Recipe from: Co+op, welcome to the table