- This event has passed.
Wild about Mushrooms
March 31, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm$65.00
Grow your own mushrooms! It is easier to grow mushrooms at home than you think. You can grow delicious and nutritious culinary and medicinal mushrooms in your own garden or home (in apartments, on rooftops and patios, too!) In the workshop we will cover how to inoculate stumps, logs, wood chips, and burlap sacks while improving your garden ecology. In this interactive class you will learn the types of outdoor mushrooms that we can easily grow in our area, the conditions required and the tools you will need. The class will also cover the basics of mushroom science, how fungi functions in nature and how to work with fungi to help restore our local ecologies. The best part is the hands on experience of inoculating a mushroom log that you get to take home! An added bonus this year will be seeing the Judd’s circular straw bale home. Frederick, MD.
Principle designer/founder of Ecologia and author of Edible Landscaping with a Permaculture Twist Michael Judd is a well-known and enjoyed speaker, noted for enthusiastic and clear presentations on a host of subjects surrounding edible and ecological landscapes.
Directions to Judd homestead – 8955 Indian Springs Rd, Frederick
From The Common Market:
- Go south on Buckeystown Pike (Rt. 85)
- Merge onto I-270 N toward US-15
- Take exit 14 for Rosemont Ave
- Turn right at Rosemont Ave going west away from downtown
- Rosemont becomes Yellow Springs Rd
- Turn left at stop sign onto Indian Springs Rd (about 4.6 miles from Rosemont exit)
- Look for Brook Hill Church on your right
- First mail box on right is 8955 Indian Springs Rd (look for a large sign that says JUDD)
- Their gravel lane is on the left opposite the mailbox between two rows of evergreens. Turn left onto lane and follow back 1/8 mile. The Judd house is the only one back there.Basically, the lane is opposite the church and if you go too far past, turn around and use the church as the landmark.
- This event will be held rain or shine. This is an outdoor activity; please dress appropriately (e.g. hat, sun block, rain gear, etc.)
- Please bring with you any food & drinks that you require.
On the day of the class, you can reach Alecks at 301-418-8248