Link to the candidate application are found at bottom of this page.
The Frederick County Consumer Cooperative, Inc. (FCCC), doing business as the Common Market, is seeking Board of Directors candidates who are dedicated to the Cooperative and its mission and who will contribute to the task of governance.
The Board of Directors operates using the model of Policy Governance, which emphasizes strategic direction of the Cooperative, Owner linkage, and evaluating management performance. The Board is accountable to the Owners of the Co-op; the General Manager is accountable to the Board.
- Protection and enhancement of Owners’ assets
- Perpetuation of the FCCC
- Monitor and evaluate the General Manager as the Board’s sole employee
- Performance monitored via Policy Governance
- Determine overall Ends of the Cooperative
- Engage in ongoing long-term planning for future directions
Note that Directors are not managers and have no direct duties, rights, or privileges in the operations of the Common Market.
As stated in the FCCC bylaws, the Board consists of nine Directors. The election of Directors is announced at FCCC Annual Ownership Meeting (OwnerFest). Each Director’s term is three years, with one third of the Directors elected each year due to staggered terms.
FCCC bylaws require that a candidate for the Board of Directors must be a Common Market Owner, in good standing. (“In good standing” is defined as being current in his/her equity share payments and have no outstanding debt to the FCCC.)
- Attend monthly Board meetings, typically the fourth Thursday of the month 6-9 p.m. (dinner included). November through January, meetings usually occur the second Thursday.
- Attend our Annual Meeting (OwnerFest) on September 21, 2019 and the annual Board retreat on November 9th & 10th. Additional training seminars with Cooperative Development Services are available throughout the year, with several possible dates and locations available, as well as online sessions.
- Prepare for monthly meetings by studying financial reports, completing monitoring surveys, reviewing information from the General Manager, and other tasks as assigned.
- Serve in the Board capacity by participation in committees, events, and attending regional co-op meetings and other meetings/events as appropriate and as needed.
- Work towards achieving the goals of our Multi-Year Strategic plan, which seeks to expand our Co-op’s success and to develop partnerships with local vendors and other co-ops.
Directors receive a base monthly stipend of $100. Board officers’ stipends are modestly increased.
Demonstration of Interest:
As a prospective candidate, you are asked to do the following:
- Review the FCCC’s Bylaws and Ends policies. Copies are available at the Co-op Service Desk, or visit our Board of Directors page on the website.
As a prospective candidate, you are required to :
- Attend a Board meeting – Thursday, May 23rd, June 13th, June 27th, and/or July 25th from 6-9 p.m. in the Common Market’s Community Room.
- Attend an Informational Session – Thursday, June 13th from 6:30 p.m. -7:30 p.m. or Saturday, June 29th from 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. in the Common Market’s Community Room.
- If elected, commit to attending Ownerfest – September 21st, 2019
- If elected, commit to attending the Board Retreat on November 9th 9 a.m. -4 p.m. & November 10th 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
You may also speak with one or more Directors personally. To arrange to speak with a current Director, email email@example.com.
Filing Your Application:
Your application must be received by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, July 12, 2019. The application may be filled out online or downloaded and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are having trouble, please contact Owner Services at email@example.com.